Here’s what to expect:
Where do I start?
- Go to mySedgwick, to get started on requesting LOA – To take a leave of absence, you need to complete a formal request and have it approved. All LOAs are administered by Sedgwick, our third-party administrator. If you have a disability claim related to your leave, Sedgwick may also handle your short-term disability claim.
- Sedgwick will review your situation – All leave requests must be submitted to Sedgwick, even if you’re applying for a personal reason requiring approval by your facility manager. Sedgwick will check your eligibility, send your request for approval and record and track your leave.
You can request and manage leaves online through Sedgwick's mySedgwick system. You can also call Sedgwick at 800-492-5678 to request your leave.
How do I get paid?
While a leave of absence is generally unpaid, you may have access to PTO or disability benefits that can replace part of your income while you’re away. It's also important to keep up your other benefits coverage by paying your premiums. Note: If you have an approved short-term disability claim, premiums for your benefits, such as your medical plan coverage will be deducted from your short-term disability payments.
What if I Don’t Speak English very well?
Sedgwick uses the AT&T Language Line, which provides a translator for you when you’re talking with a Sedgwick representative. The AT&T Language Line supports over 40 different languages. You can also submit your medical certification form in Spanish, and Sedgwick will have it translated.
When do I request a leave?
Whenever possible, submit your request 30 days before the day you plan to start your leave. If your request is for unexpected reasons, get it in as soon as you can, preferably within one business day after learning that you need to take a leave.
IMPORTANT: If you're unable to submit your own request, a People Partner, your manager or a family member can submit it for you.
How do I request leave?
Step 1: Notify your manager immediately of your need to take a leave
Step 2: Follow the normal call-in procedures for your facility
Walmart stores: call in each absence until you get confirmation your manager knows about your leave request, usually within a day. After that, you'll be placed on an inactive status.
Sam’s Club: call in each absence until you get confirmation your manager knows about your leave request, usually within a day. Once your leave has been approved by Sedgwick, you’ll be placed on an inactive status.
Supply Chain and Home Office: call in each absence until your leave has been approved by Sedgwick and you’re placed on an inactive status.
Step 3: Request your leave
To request your leave with Sedgwick, you’ll need:
- Your Walmart Identification Number (WIN)
- Personal contact information
- The reason for your leave
- The fax number for your doctor, if you're requesting a medical or family care leave
- The dates for your leave, and whether it's continuous (all at once) or intermittent (some now, some later)
- Your most recent two-week work schedule, or a three-week schedule for a military leave
When you have all your information together, submit a leave request to Sedgwick either online or by calling their leave team:
- Going online using mySedgwick, or
- Phone: 800-492-5678.