1 package store-bought empanada rounds
1 ripe plantain, diced
1 15 ½ oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 onion, diced
3-5 garlic cloves, minced
1 plum tomato, diced
1 T. olive oil1 ¼ c. vegetable broth
3 T. cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. Kosher salt
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. chili powder
¼ to ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
¼ tsp. allspice
Shredded cheese, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Sauté plantains, onions, & garlic in olive oil until golden. Add salt, cumin, coriander, chili powder, & stir.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, & broth. Turn down heat & simmer until liquid is absorbed.
4. Add red pepper flakes, allspice, & two Tbsp. cilantro. Stir to combine & cook five minutes.
5. To assemble, place an equal amount of filling into the center of each dough round, sprinkle with remaining cilantro, brush water along the edges of the rounds, fold to make a half moon, & seal edges with a fork.
6. Place empanadas on a baking tray, brush with egg wash, & bake until golden (about 12 minutes).
7. Serve with chimichurri, or sauce of your choice.